Voxelizer Experimental release notes 2018-12-23

We’re continuing the (currently bi-) weekly schedule of Voxelizer Experimental updates.

This update features a first batch of significant improvements for multi-color printing.

The updates should automatically show up when starting Voxelizer - if they don’t, you can click on Help -> Check for updates or download the Windows installer directly from here. MacOS and Linux versions of Voxelizer Experimental are almost finished and should be available at the beginning of January.

Voxelizer Experimental release notes 2018-12-23

Features

Computation of achievable colors

We have developed a new constrained color picker based on color mixes achievable from currently chosen filament colors. The new picker shows an achievable subset of the HSV space:

Real-time texture mapping preview

We have added an entirely new way of adding and editing textures on objects, featuring real-time preview and full control over filament ratio distribution (tutorial pending):

To access the new mode, apply a texture to an object by drag-and-drop or by right-click menu.

• two modes of automatic input color selection - key colors (left button) and uniform grayscale (right button)
  • manual input color selection by dragging the color pickers on the left view
  • automatic color maching to nearest achievable color (arrows)
  • manual picking of output colors by color picker (click on color box) or by-hand ratio input

The color mixture list interface will be modified in the next update, for now to edit settings on an existing object, reapply the same texture to the same object to see the new mode again.

Robust image mapping algorithms

Algorithms for generating interleaved multi-color paths (image mapping) have been rewritten for robustness, so as to handle the more difficult situations properly.

More detailed release notes will follow shortly.

Thanks for the update! I’ll certainly be testing it and letting you guys know.

@kyp I played with it a bunch today and it’s a great start. Experience below.

Bugs-

1. If you click from key color to uniform grayscale and then back vox crashes.
  2. Rotation seems to do nothing
  3. Doing things on default “texture” seems to not update values (internal, keys, etc.) when applied. Only seems to do so for a second user created new texture.
  4. Post slice things are usually gone in the gcode but still there in the 2nd step on the bar. I very rarely was able to get the gcode to actually be what was displayed in the mapping or even close to it.
  5. Some vertex colored models that previously loaded fine now crash Vox when I set it to vertex color.

Questions

1. What is the difference between key color and uniform grayscale?
  2. Is there any way to adjust resolution of the mapping without actually going back to the first step and doing a higher resolution voxelization?

Easier enhancements that are probably needed.

1. Rotation that works
  2. Scaling of the image
  3. Alignment of the image
  4. After image mapping the distinct mapping should probably be split from the model. It makes each distinct region individually selectable and if you wanted any further modifiers easy to accomplish.

Harder enhancements that would be nice

1. Instead of a single circle to move for each mapping two circles that define a min/max to color.
  2. A mode especially for vertex colored models in mixing situations to automatically create the color slots for you based on the colors seen in the model
  3. For vertex colored models it might be good in some situations to do something similar to what you guys do with splitting loose parts in the model but instead on the vertex color. This gets those items selectable right off the bat and for a lot of models would be an easier drag and drop with simple colors.

1. As long as the resolution of the picture was not tiny it seems that sharpness of the mapping really doesn’t usually depend on the picture but rather depends on the voxelization resolution. The previews should probably have at least a message that states this, or perhaps a way in it’s UI to bump up the resolution there. Many times I had a lot of jagged edges especially on text and it’s due to the voxeiization resolution too low not being anything to do with the picture.

Overall a huge improvement. I’ll certainly play with it more over the coming days, and hopefully can get the gcode to do what is shown in your UI. Thanks for the hard work. Hope you guys have some well deserved time off for the holidays!

Just following up on the gcode from mapping like mentioned above.

I’ve tried a lot of combinations now (different models, textures, voxel resolutions, etc.) and while the mapping looks ok and then the model looks ok when returning, most of the time things are incorrect when advancing to the gcode tab. The only one I’ve gotten to sometimes actually be ok is external sides on a flat plane. Top, Top/Bottom, vertex color, and internal seem to never advance to gcode ok. This is all after the mapping goes ok, so there seems to be issues further down the pipeline.

I did figure out what rotation meant when messing with sides, it was which side of model. I incorrectly thought it was rotation of the external image, but it’s not. Rotation for the image would be a nice add as well.

Also, when messing with sides to get a flat plane I often just split a rectangle selection from the main model and the split seems to always introduce artifacts. Sometimes it looks like a bevel, others an offset or sunken in section. I’d expect the geometry to stay the same, just splitting out the model without modifying any geometry. Is this a bug as well or am I supposed to be using something else within vox for doing this?

@greggtwep16 thanks for lots of feedback - it’s really useful to us. We’re back from holidays now and we’ll keep our focus on this area.

Most of the crash-inducing bugs should be addressed in this week’s update.

On your questions:

1. Key colors finds the most distinctive colors in the texture (k-nearest neighbors algorithm) to make the texture’s features more distinctive. Uniform grayscale simply distributes the colors uniformly according to their brightness (should be a better choice for grayscale images).

2. Regarding the influence of voxel resolution on the final mapping - actually, it influences mostly just the preview and not the final gcode. We’re looking at ways of making the preview more representative of the final result. Right now it’s just a meshed surface of the voxelized object with colors on the vertices of that mesh, so it depends on voxel resolution - but generation of the mapping gcode uses the actual image data so there’s no depencence on voxel resolution.

Some of your impressions concerning the resulting gcode might be due to the current gcode preview not showing the actual colors very well - although the material ratios are properly set in the gcode, the preview is brightened which makes it difficult to distinguish the colors. We’ll probably go for less shading and more representation of what’s actually going on.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it was just the gcode preview visualizer but it wasn’t from both viewing it in other programs and doing prints. The visualizer was actually pretty reliable.

Hope you guys had a good holiday. Certainly let me know if there is something specific you want me to test.