Stop from "fixing" internal holes

Hey!

So our main model that we print tons of has little holes inside for us to insert magnets, then print over and enclose them in the model. The problem is that Voxelizer seems to be repairing these internal holes so they don’t exist at all.

The whole reason we bought a printer for mixing colors is for these specific models, haha, so I would love to know if there’s a way to work around this.

Thanks!

Hi @bluecurtain try do disable “Automatically repair meshes” from Mesh Diagnostics in the Scene editor. If this doesn’t work, please send us the model so that we can have a look at it.

Hey agiachino,

I found that setting earlier but no luck, it still removes the holes.

I found a temporary workaround in the meantime, I have cut the model just before closing off the holes and imported the two sections separately. I need to test printing them both and see how the result comes out still.

What is the best method for sending you the file? I can send you a link in a private message?

Yes link is fine. I will check it tomorrow at work.

Hi @bluecurtain did you get my reply in PM? I will also briefly explain it hear, as it might be useful for other people too.

If your model has internal holes there is no way to voxelize it and keep. However, there are few steps that you can take to get around this issue.

Let’s say that you have a sphere with a hole inside and that for some reason you want to keep during the print:

If, after importing it to Voxelizer, you voxelize it directly, you will loose the hole in the middle. To keep it, do the following steps:

• Split the loose parts. In this way the outside sphere and the inside one will be voxelized independently.

• In the Tree structure panel, select first the external sphere and then the internal one.

• Go to the Voxelmap transformation panel and perform a Boolean subtraction operation. Now you have a single sphere with a hole inside, like in the original model.

Lithophane Model of the Moon doesn't slice correctly