Smarter Adaptive Tool Paths for the CNC Workflow

I’m pretty new to the CNC scene and I’ve recently been attempting to cut scale models of sections of terrain from wooden slabs using the CNC head on a ZMorph VX. I’ve been trying out the experimental version of Voxelizer since it has so far appeared to produce better tool paths.

After an initial facing cut I’ve been using the adaptive tool path to remove the bulk of the material in large, coarse stepdowns with a larger diameter tool. My preferred final operation would be to do a second adaptive tool path with a smaller diameter square end mill and a much finer stepdown. This leaves the final product with nice contour lines similar to those in topographical maps.

This would be all well and good, except that the second adaptive tool path fails to account for the material removed by the first. This results in the smaller tool “cutting air” for the majority of its operation as it tries to face off non-existent material, only eventually reaching the roughed out part. This gives enormous operation times, with projections of many tens of hours spent cutting nothing.

After much searching I can’t seem to find any posts discussing similar issues. Is there a more effective way to reach the same result? I’ve attempted to use parallel and other tool paths, though they always result in the program hanging indefinitely while trying to generate the operation.

It would seem that operations that inherit the state of the part from previous steps would be a very useful feature, and would eliminate this problem, as well as generally decrease cut times and machine wear. Alternatively, the ability to import custom stock shapes would allow for the two adaptive tool paths to be generated independently, with the second fine cut being generated from a stock material profile that is just slightly larger than the final part.

I would rather stay within Voxelizer until I get my hands on a separate CNC machine. I’ve found that the little quirks and idiosyncrasies of the machine are best handled by Voxelizer, at least with the 3D printing workflow. That said, if there’s no way around the absurd operation times, I might have to look farther afield.

Estoy muy de acuerdo con lo que comenta y yo pienso lo mismo… me parece una perdida de tiempo y debe estar contemplado una solución a ese problema
gracias por el aporte