Slicing issue with textures

I take the change to reply to @jedpaull to announce a new feature of the upcoming release.
In the Texture Settings Wizard you will find a new parameter called_Generation mode_. The goal is to take care of the horizontal surfaces which were not giving good results until now.

• The option WEAVING is the traditional one, with the fix of assigning the first material of the texture to the infill.
  • The option SEGMENTATION creates an object for every color of the texture. This happens under the hood at the time of gcode generation. If you want to see directly its effect, “Color segmentation” is a new filter under the “Segmentation” cathgory.
  • COMPLEX is a mix of the two methods: Segmentation for for the horizontal surfaces, WEAVING for the others. At the moment it’s not available yet for vertex and internal textures.

Complex and Segmentation will produce nice top surfaces. However they increase the time of gcode generation and the time of printing, so beware of it.

There are few bugs related to this new feature that we are already aware of and that we will tackle next week. It’s a very experimental thing, so your feedback is very important @dggrant @greggtwep16 @avaccaro @pyroclasmx and everyone else :slight_smile:

I am very excited to play with this. I haven’t had an opportunity to print since my printer has been down. But should be back up soon.

I gave this a try on 3 model types (texture, vertex color, and internal). I did complex for the texture and segmentation for the other two.

The internal and texture ones when slicing essentially went haywire with no real result and all the extruders listing large negative numbers as the length (the texture one froze voxelizer as well). The vertex color one with the car I did previously actually sliced it pretty good even on the roof.

Can’t say that I can give meaningful feedback since I’m not sure what separates the models that succeeded from the ones that didn’t. Being able to handle flat surface is obviously good, but it seems to go off the deep end fairly frequently currently.

If you know what to avoid I can certainly throw more models at it. Just let me know.

Hi @greggtwep16, could you please send me the 3 models that you used? We will check what needs to be fixed.

I was able to get a few minutes to go through each of the new settings for textures and I know you are still working on these, but wanted to share my observations with you.

For the testing I used the same dice tower and brick texture I’ve been playing with. It has proven a good test for me.

For all of the tests the settings window preview have all looked fantastic. The issues I have noticed arises when you get into the gcode. With each of the modes I took a snapshot of the gcode preview window and saved out the gcode and used an independent viewer to see what the lines looked like.

Weaving

Weaving produced the best textured look in the model.

You’ll notice in this picture that most of the white lines are missing from the preview.

In looking at it in the viewer the gcode looks pretty much identical

Zooming in and looking at the lines that were rendered the travel lines look uniform for the white parts.

Segmentation

Of the 3 modes, this one produced what looks like a proper matching gcode. If you look close you’ll see that there are actually some small gaps in the print.

The initial view of the gcode in the viewer shows good alternating lines between the 2 colors.

on closer inspecting the white look fairly chaotic to me.when it is filling in the print. This may be right but was something I noticed that was different between the other 2 modes.

Complex

Complex presented some additional issues that I did not observe with the other two. It was missing white lines in the print, but also toward the top of the print it started introducing extruder 0’s color when the infill was set to use the texture.

The extrusion lines for the white areas appear to look clean and very similar to weaving.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much for your feedback @pyroclasmx, it is very useful.

Commenting on what you wrote: regarding the weaving part, the fact that many white lines are missing in this case is not a bug but it is due to the fact that, since the model is scaled down, there is not enough space to put the color lines. If you used a smaller path width or a bigger model you would get the correct result.

For segmentation, a way to improve the quality, apart from a smaller path with, is to use smaller voxels. Beware that each reduction in voxel size will quadruple the segmentation time. Don’t do it on that model yet though because I just found a bug at small voxel sizes :smiley: I’m working on the gaps, but in many cases it’s just that a smaller path width is needed.

For complex, since it’s a mixture of weaving and segmentation, the same that I wrote before applies. The introduction of extruder 0 is due to the fact that it is assigned automatically for the infill and this is indeed an error that we will fix.

In general the main problem that I see here at the moment is the name Print preview in the wizard. This is quite misleading as it was not totally true before and it is even less now. Maybe we have to think about a new way to put it.

This is great information!

I know that the gcode view is still in a voxels form but would it be possible at some point to introduce a toggle to lines? Being able to visualize exactly what the print is going to do helps me ensure that it is doing what I expect it to do.

No the Gcode view is not anymore in voxel form. Those are the final extrusion lines. Before I was referring to the Print Preview in the Texture wizard. However if you want to inspect more closely the gcode you can do it with the diagnostic tab in the gcode view.

Ok, I figured you were mentioning this window

The gcode/line view was a separate question. but you answered that thanks!

Greg the haywire issue should be solved now. Not sure about the negative numbers in the extruders as I could not replicate it. Let us know if you also tried some print.

Good to hear on the one issue. I gave complex another try and this time it did slice but not a great result (pic below)

The texture is still just a png with text and is 100% black or 100% white mapped to cyan and white. All the mapping screens look fine and while I’m using cylinder and complex it doesn’t slice well. The noise where the image is just a solid white background is weird, I wouldn’t think it’d have a problem with that but it does.

As far as the negative large extruder numbers, I’ve periodically experienced this before. Certain layer heights or mapping scales seem to make it go off the deep end. Since they are such large negative numbers it’s almost like it overflows, or runs out of memory or trounces on some memory during the process. If I can reliably reproduce it I’ll let you know.

Also I did notice that the mapping color selections if you go back after slicing and edit aren’t saved, but they probably should be so you don’t have to redo them.

Yes this is the type of issue that should be solved now. Before were you referring to something different?

Oh that’s a problem, yes please let us know when you encounter it again. We will also investigate.

True, we’ll fix that.

Color segmentation. Going now to test it against complex.

That’s looking good!

Now with complex. The surfaces and the details look better (as expected) but there was not enough purge transition from one color to the other. The flat parts at the bottom generated with segmentation also look good and I can’t notice much the line of separation between the two techniques. Overall I’m happy with the reasult, considering that I’ve use a faulty leaking extruder, but I would like to have a feedback from your prints of course:). For both this and previous print, before generating the gcode I’ve applied a thickening filter of 0.125 mm.

I was dealing with some mechanical issues with my printer that I think I have finally resolved. My printer is back in action 100% and I’ll be running some serious prints over the coming days. I do have one that I would like to share that I did yesterday. I am really happy with how it came out. I love how well your dice tower came out! Let me dig out the thingiverse file later today and you’ll be able to print the drawbridges that attach to the holes.

Cool, looking forward for the next prints :slight_smile:

New layout and new parameters for external texture mapping in the next release: scale X, scale Y, Border style, Move X, Move Y.

Awesome I look forward to trying it out!