Filament settings tutorial CR-10S

There are a number of tutorials for supports and general use, but there is something that I believe would be helpful, especially for someone trying to make a different printer work with Voxelizer…

I am finding a lot of filament settings that are not clear. Many settings are covered by your tutorials, but some of the speed, retraction and other filament settings are either not clear in their function or they don’t provide even a pop-up to help understand how they work.

I don’t mean to add to the workload, but for someone just getting into 3D those settings would be very difficult. I have been intensely at this for a number of months and still struggle to make sense of some of a number of them. A tutorial going through all the settings for filaments would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Doug Grant

Hi Doug, yes we can write an article specific for the filament settings. Just to have an idea, can you give us some examples of settings that are not clear?

Alberto,
Yes, maybe later today or tomorrow.
Doug

Sorry, I forgot this one.
That may be a good thing. More experience with the program (and maybe some things were added?) seem to have clarified some of this.
I think most of this has to do with my not being clear on a couple of definitions:
What is:

1. an artifact
  2. the difference between a shell and an outline?

The one that confused me was under Retraction the slider that is labeled “Additional action.” The name seems to imply there is additional action to be provided by the user. The definition seems to be a very specific action. Could this be labeled “Escape inside” or something similar?
Thanks,
Doug

Doug, we call “artifact” the structure that is generated in multi-material printing to clean the nozzle before a change of color/material and that ultimately you though away. In Voxelizer it can be a brim or a tower.

All the outlines create the shell of a model

shell

Thank you, Alberto.
That helps a lot! It seemed like the two were being used for the same thing. I guess they are in a way.:slight_smile:

Well
number_of_outlines = max(minimum_shell_thickness / path_width, minimum_number_of_outlines)
:slight_smile: